Amarone della Valpolicella DOCG “Costasera” by Masi
Legends Masi describe their ‘Costasera’ as their ‘gentle giant’, an Amarone of softness as well as power and complexity.
Winemaking: grapes harvested from sunset-facing slopes overlooking Lake Garda are dried on specialised bamboo racks for 2-3 months to maximise intensity prior to fermentation. 80% of the wine is then aged for 24 months in Slavonian oak, with the remaining 20% in Allier French oak barriques.
Assemblage: corvina 70%, rondinella 25%, molinara 5%.
Colour: intense, opaque dark red with garnet tinges.
Aroma: red and black cherries, a certain smokiness and even a hint of baked apple.
Palate: fruit-forward, full but velvety-soft with balancing acidity. The oak spice is present but extremely well-judged and not overwhelming, while forest-floor and fondente notes are there to reward meditation and contemplation.
Ageability: This one has barely begun – expect it to change and evolve for decades to come.
Pairing: meaty primi and secondi, as well as mushrooms or cassoulet. Aged milder blue cheeses would react wonderfully with the sweet fruit in the wine.